Type: Cityhall Location: Bloemendaal Client: Municipality of Bloemendaal Team: Marijn Schenk, Bart Reuser, Michel Schreinemachers, Robbert Bron, Hilda van Gortel, Jurriaan Hillerström, Tara Steenvoorden Collaborator / associate: Rudy Uytenhaak Architecten Floor area / size: 4.500 sqm
The realization of a central office location for the municipality of Bloemendaal forms the final step in the fusion of the municipalities of Bloemendaal and Bennebroek. The location is characterized by the powerful character of villas in the landscape, a characteristic of the site since its earlier function as a country estate. In 1950 the municipality of Bloemendaal purchased the estate. The 19th century house was demolished and then replaced in 1966 by a historicizing building designed by A.M de Rouville de Meux, an architect from the Hague, to serve as the new town hall.
The suggested design concept maintains and strengthens both of these characteristic components: the autonomous location within the landscape and the classical identity as an estate house.
In order to utilize the potential of the roof’s large area roof area from the perspective of sustainability, it has been converted into an energy roof. Raising this new roof creates the necessary additional floor area. Furthermore, this new floor offers the right dimensions to accommodate new and more flexible working methodologies.
The ground floor contains the agora linked to the public centre which consists of counters and meeting rooms directly connected to the department of public affairs. On the first floor, functionally and visually connected to the public centre by means of a large staircase, the administrative department consists of meeting rooms and the wedding venue which surround the multifunctional hall. The civic service’s office floors are housed on the third and fourth floor. All four floors are connected at the back by a zone containing all service functions and the vertical circulation core: the logistical backbone of the organization. The entrance for the public centre and the possibly ceremonial entrance to the administrative department are located at their respective ground levels.